What is the Specialized High Skills Major?
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). View the SHSM Fact Sheet.
Students receive the SHSM's distinctive red seal on their diploma when they:
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student's selected field including a two credit coop placement
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid, WHMIS and CPR qualifications
- gain important skills on the job with employers
Each SHSM consists of five required components:
1. Bundled Credits - defined bundle of credits consisting of eight to ten Grade 11 and Grade 12 credits, including cooperative education.
2. Certification and Training Sector-recognized certifications and training courses and programs.
3. Experiential learning and career exploration activities Experiential learning and career exploration activities within the sector.
4. Reach-Ahead Experiences Learning experiences connected with the student’s post-secondary plans.
5. Connection with community partners to deliver either a coding project, a numeracy/literacy project or an innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship project.
View the province-wide SHSM infographic.
There are 11 SHSM programs offered within the St. Clair Catholic District School Board: